Saturday, September 4, 2010

KSVP Too

Coming off a DNF in Tennessee and a DFL at Battenkill, the H2H Bulldog Rump at Kittatinny Valley State Park seemed like the best time and place for a humbling debut in Cat 1 on my newest and most awesome race sled, Zena.

I had sworn I wouldn't do any more singlespeed races because they beat up my knees too badly. It's been in my mind to build the ultimate race bike for some time, and over the past couple months I have been selling things and saving everything I could to get this bike built. In previous posts, I mentioned how much I enjoy building custom bikes, selecting each piece, envisioning the finished product, and finally assembling it to see it is exactly as cool as I had imagined. This bike was the epitome of this process and I still look at it and can't believe it's real.




So now I have a geared mountain bike and now I have to race it. As a Cat 1, I am up against guys who have been training and conditioning themselves for the extra distance for years. With my one full year of training, it's all I can do to not come in last in this field. It was time to test my mettle with the big boys, I had a bike that could take the abuse, but I somehow felt like I built a top fuel dragster and installed a Quisinart in the engine compartment.

One thing I like about racing in Cat 1 is the later start time. The extra distance is also great because now I spend more time riding my bike than driving to the races. The extra distance at race pace is another story. KSVP is a really fun, fast course with enough slippery roots and exposed rock to keep one in check. Zena handled beautifully, and her rider didn't do too badly either. I managed to not come in last, so that alone was enough to call the day a success. The mechanic in me was pleased with how well my bike performed.











No comments:

Post a Comment