Monday, June 29, 2009

Roots, Rock, Reggae

It's been a long time since I've cruised my local trails. With all my training being done on the road, the only time I ride my SS is during races. For today, my coach gave me the go ahead to take a leisurely spin through the woods. So I jumped at the opportunity to load the race machine into the van and headed straight away for Washington Valley Park. My racing experiences have taken me to many far away and amazing places with awesome vistas and the most pleasurable single track one could ever dream of, but there's just something about returning to your local digs and being reunited with my old friends. It was nice catching up with the stream crossing, shaking hands with the outstretched arms of overhanging tree branches, and hugging the switchback turns.

I had forgotten how technical Chimney Rock is. Perhaps not as much as other parks like Ringwood, but there is hardly a section of plain dirt that isn't covered with exposed rocks and roots. A benefit to not having ridden at CR in so long is that my skills and fitness have improved greatly since the last time I was there. I took great pleasure in cleaning all the rock gardens, stream crossings, and all the technical sections that used to see me clipping out and regretfully and shamefully walking over.

When I ride, aside from my own thoughts that are often voiced out loud, there is always a song or two in my mental playlist to fit the occasion. I usually like to listen to reggae music when I'm feeling happy because it boasts such a positive vibe and a groove you can just move to. The song "Roots, Rock, Reggae" by Bob Marley came into my head for obvious reasons as I did the 29er shuffle over my rooted and rocky dance floor. The rocks chattered and the protests of the snapping roots sent all the furry woodland critters running for their lives.




It was great to ride off road for once without the pressures of being in a race. Even though I gladly took familiar sections at full speed, it was simply for the fun of it. I liked being alone, moving at my own pace, and being able to experience the outdoors in my own way. I don't know how long it will be before I can do another training ride in the woods, but I know I will be looking forward to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment