Saturday, December 5, 2009

P'burg

This was the final race of the NJ Cyclocross Cup series and my last race of the season. One last chance to correct all my previous mistakes and go for the gusto one more time. The course was perhaps the most technical of the series which gave me an immediate edge. I've found the "roadies" have a great deal of trouble negotiating roots, off camber turns, and mud, but for anyone with a mountain biking background it's a cake walk.

Last week I made the mistake of busting out way too strong and blowing up on the first lap, having not saved anything for later and never fully recovering before the race ended. This time, I knew to sit back near the front, but not in front, and wait until the leaders began to crack before making a move. I started in the front row, but eased back to about 12th for the first lap, keeping an eye on the big guns. If they attacked, I'd be ready. By the end of lap 2, guys ahead of me began fading and I started moving forward without even riding faster, but by then my body was ready to ramp things up anyway. I had seen where on the course I could make up time and I was feeling stronger by the minute. I began sprinting on the short straights, picking up a second here and a second there.

All the racers in the top ten were fierce competitors who came from different cycling disciplines; some roadies, some time trialists, and some mountain bikers. Spots were being traded everywhere. Roadies outran guys on the flats only to be overtaken by mountain bikers on the corners. Alex Belgiovine of Westwood Cycle, a TT'er, gets the medal of honor if you ask me. He definitely had the fitness engine to spank everyone in the C field at every race, but succumbed to crashes and technical problems that kept him off the podium. He was my favorite competition all season and I wish him some better luck next year so he can finish up front where he belongs. After some trouble today, we ended up finishing 8th and 9th and it was a pleasure to cross the finish line with him.

I'm sad the season is over. Since it's my first year of CX, I only just got to know these guys and will miss the scene around the races each week. Today is the hardest day since the 2010 'cross season is as far away as it could be. See you all next year in the B's!



Am I out of focus? Or was I just going too fast?


Finally Jdog and I have a legitimate battle!


Angelo about to pass me and continue on to a podium. Nice job!


The steepest run-up I've ever seen.


The turn of death! My little brother couldn't get enough of the carnage that went on here!


Smiling because we just decided to go to Fudd's. And it was snowing!


It was sticking on top of Jugtown Mountain, but not anywhere else unfortunately.





My victory dance.


Bros.

After we were done eating (actually after Anthony inhaled his burger in 5 seconds and watched me eat for the next half hour), we went for the Air Hockey Best of Three Championship of the Universe. I won of course. Here's some video footage of my game winning goals of games one and two.






6 comments:

  1. Good job! What adventures are in store for the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! mostly training for next year's racing season, but also some snowboarding, snowshoeing, and climbing. next race is four short months away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job sending jdog to the showers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I would own both of you in air hockey :) I am the champ!

    ReplyDelete