Sunday, November 22, 2009

HPCX


This is what cyclocross is about; cold, rain, and a lot of mud. Only someone who has been there could know how it feels to pedal with everything you’ve got through deep mud and to feel like you’re not going anywhere. To quote Garth from Wayne’s World when he was having his hair cut by the Suck-Cut, “It’s sucking my will to live!” Well, it certainly does suck.

I found my spot, once again, in the back of the pack at the start in a field of 54 C racers. I got a decent warmup and prerode the course, so I felt ready for what was about to go down. From the gun, I just went all out and tried to pick off as many guys as I could on the first lap. Unfortunately, I came out too strong and didn’t save anything for the end. I blame it on the mud, since the effort put into powering through it is twice that of what you’d normally expend. I still managed to finish in the top half of the field, which at this stage of the game and this being only my first cross season, is pretty good.

Despite the most abysmal conditions, I had some of the most fun I’ve ever had on a bike. Cross is amazing that in such a short time, one can experience every kind of emotion ranging anywhere from, “This is awesome!” to “Why the f*ck am I doing this?” I can’t get enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment