Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The perfect storm

When just the right combination of simultaneously occurring conditions converge on themselves, it is sometimes known as "a perfect storm." This rarely happens in the meteorological world, but the term itself can be applied to any combination of obscure happenings that result in a unique outcome, which is also typically rare. Today, two perfect storms materialized and I found myself caught in both of them.

I quit my job this morning. I have worked at the same garden center for almost 15 years and today was my last day. The last decade saw a major decline in our profitability as competing nurseries sprouted up (no pun intended) all around us. The owner of the business, despite our suggestions, refused to do anything to change the way things were being run and so we began a downward spiral towards our own demise. The economy is certainly playing a role, but the effects wouldn't be so hard felt if we made some slight changes. The owner's stubbornness resulted in the business' worst year ever, barely making payroll each week, and ultimately the first layoffs in its history.

I saw all of this coming, we all did. And knowing that this was not the future I wanted for myself, I knew when the chance came I would jump ship before it sank. A few books, some important and influential people, and some recent life experiences have led me to the realization of what my Soul Purpose in life is, and before it was too late, I put a series of events in motion to be sure that when the ship did in fact sink, I would have a well-stocked life raft. The news came out last month that the ship had struck something and was taking on water when I learned I would be getting laid off for the month of September. Knowing I had more than a month to prepare for my exodus, I felt secure that I would be prepared and ready to become full-time at the bike shop by that time. Last week, disaster struck as the hull separated and the "abandon ship!" call was made as I learned I would be laid off for the month of August as well. In a panic, I threw what essential items I could grasp into my life raft and shoved off, setting myself adrift on a sea of the unknown.

There was a mix of emotions this morning. I was excited to finally quit that place, having thought about it for so long. I was sad to leave my closest friends behind, happy I would never have to see my dad again, and slightly nervous about what would happen next. To clear my head, I did what works best for that affliction and went for a bike ride.

Normally what happens on days such as this is I spend the nicest part of the day confined to my job, bored to death, and wishing I was 1,000 other places but there. I wait all day until closing time when I can finally get on my bike, but either I am too out of it to want to ride that late, I need to cook dinner, or most often a massive thunderstorm hits and ruins any chance of getting out anyway. Today since I left work early, I took advantage of the opportunity to go for a mid-day ride. The weather forecast called for late afternoon thunderstorms, possibly serious, with heavy rain and hail. I figured if I put in a full day, my plans to ride would have certainly been foiled. As I neared Round Valley just after noon, the already overcast sky began to darken and tiny rain drops began hitting my windshield. NO! Not again!

I parked my van and debated just going for it and getting rained on, which I wouldn't have minded and actually enjoy. But knowing that this wasn't just a passing shower, I decided to wait about 10 minutes and see what happened. Holy crap was that a good idea! The storm that ensued found me cowering in my van, wincing at each crack of thunder with the full belief that the wind was going to blow my van right over. The sound of sheets of rain hammering my sheet metal walls was deafening. The song "Riding The Storm Out" by REO Speedwagon was playing in my head as I imagined that this is what it would be like living inside a snare drum if it were at all possible.

Eventually, the storm abated and I was able to get on with my ride after all. This storm wasn't quite the perfect storm, but perfect is exactly how I would describe the resulting weather after it had passed. The air was cool, the darker grey sky was giving way to a lighter one, and the late afternoon sun was trying desperately to break free one last time before disappearing behind the horizon. It was the best conditions I could have asked for and..., alright Nick! Every day you have the best ride of your life, we get it! But with the perfect storms now dissipating, I was able to find a slate washed clean, a calmer sea, and my new course in life clearly marked ahead of me. Sail on.




This is the view out of my perfectly clear rear window of my van. The rain was so heavy you couldn't see a foot in front of you. Make sure your volume is turned UP!



The tail of the storm


Caught in suspension


Action photo!


I don't recommend doing this


A really gnarly tree


Hey-o! Look what I found!


My kinda sign



No comments:

Post a Comment